Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad

Today my father turned 89 years old.
It is incredible to think of all the changes that Dad has been through in his lifetime. I am so thankful that he has been able to see most of his grandchildren get married and now to meet most of his great grandchildren. It blesses my heart to see him hold those little ones in his strong hands.
Today I celebrate your life, Dad. I celebrate the strong faith that you have in the Lord Jesus, a faith that has sustained you through the good times and the bad. A faith that still stands firm, even though the body is aging. A faith that will carry you through to the joys of heaven.
I celebrate my father's character--of a life that has been lived as an expression of God's grace and mercy, of a life that seeks justice and righteousness and yet is molded by a heart that is tender. A life that is directed by a love for and an obedience to God's Word.
Today I celebrate my father and his motto: one day at a time.
This morning as I prayed for Dad, I was reminded of a song that he so often sings. Then when I called this afternoon to wish him "Happy Birthday" he spontaneously sang it to me,
"One day at a time, Sweet Jesus, that's all I'm asking from You.
Just give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do.
Yesterday's gone, Sweet Jesus, and tomorrow may never be mine.
Lord, help me today, show me the way,
One day at a time."
Happy 89th Birthday, Dad. We love you!

1 comment:

doug&margarethe said...

You do have a special dad, Marilyn that has also taken me in as a daughter! Happy Birthday, Ray. And thank you for showing your faith and trust in Jesus time after time to me and my family. So many wonderful memories of time spent together with you and Mil. Many blessings in the coming year.