Saturday, June 23, 2012

Celebrating life

Last Saturday, we celebrated life. First we attended a 15th birthday party for twin girls from our church. Following this joyous event, we went to an open house celebrating the high school graduation of another young adult from our church. Then we traveled north to celebrate the homegoing of our friend Steve. (above) Jim and I first met him while he attended Hillcrest Academy (Jim and I were attending Bible School and Seminary at the time.) Steve fought a courageous battle against cancer, but the Lord called him home a couple of weeks ago.
Steve's sister Karen hosted a beautiful outdoor service at her home.
Steve's father and two sisters (on the right), accompanied by friends, classmates from MN.
 The Moline sisters traveled to SoCal and honored us with their musical messages of faith and hope.
It was so meaningful to listen to the words of the song I Can Only Imagine, as we rejoiced in the fact that our dear friend was now in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. 
I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side. 
I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me
1 can only imagine.
Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you, Jesus, or in awe of You, be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing "Hallelujah!" Will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine! I can only imagine. 
After forty years, what a joy to see this friend again!  
Both Steve's sister and brother gave a moving tribute to the life of their brother. 
 Jim gave a meditation at the memorial service. As always, the Lord was honored by the words that he shared. 
We enjoyed seeing so many friends from many different states. 
 Ole (the father) is always such a joy to visit with. 
 More friends...
Such a lovely day with so many friends! 
It truly was a Homegoing Celebration for Steve!

No comments: