Saturday, July 19, 2008

Minnesota trip #4- Anniversary & Lakeside

And now, after a long absence due to busy life (we've been living our life--not blogging it!), computer problems, and long hours at work, we'll try to post the last pictures of our trip to Minnesota. It seems hard to believe that was almost a month ago now! Time flies...
On Saturday, I (Marilyn) left my reunion in Minneapolis early so that I could join my family who had already traveled north, for another milestone celebration. My little country church was celebrating their 125th Anniversary and we were happy that we could be there for this event.
Small, but beautifully familiar, it is always a joy to walk into this sanctuary where the Word of God is still preached with conviction and clarity. I thank God for the privilage of growing up in a family and a church where Jesus is loved and served. The Saturday evening service was mostly a time of music and sharing of memories. Many former (or associated) people shared their memories of what Jevnaker Church has meant to them as they grew up and through the years since. The highlight of the evening was the stringband, now called the "Loose Strings." Music has long been a tradition in this little country church and we always enjoyed singing and playing musical instruments together. I was even invited to join in on the piano for the last song! My Mother and her sister singing with their harps...

My Father, almost 87 years old, was the star performer with his harmonica solos...

Thanks Mom and Dad for always making music such an important part of our lives when we were growing up. (Maybe that's why I love music so much today???)

After staying the night with my sister and her husband, we drove back to the country church for the morning worship service and a potluck dinner. It was so enjoyable to meet old friends again and visit with so many cousins, aunts and uncles. But, we were anxious to see my brother also! Rayn was already at his lake home and waiting with his pontoon boat ready! As we headed for the lake, we drove past the farm where I grew up. (Our farm on the far left, and my maternal grandparents lived right next to us on the farm to the right. Years later, my brother bought that farm and had a dairy farm together with my dad for many years until dad's retirement and Rayn's desire to leave farming.)

Shortly after we arrived, our trusty captain, Rayn, took us on his pontoon boat for a ride around the lake. Jayden had his first boat ride!His mommy also relaxed and enjoyed watching great grandma loving the presence of her first great grandchild.It was wonderful to enjoy the clear sky and water of the Minnesota north country.Enjoying the ride...Margaret and Dave (Marilyn's youngest sister)

Siblings together: Marilyn, Rayn, and Margaret

Family photo-opMom and DadJust visiting and enjoying the afternooon together. My mother's two sisters and their husbands were also with us for the afternoon, so it was great to spend a bit more time with my aunts and uncles before we all went our separate ways. Unfortunately, Rayn's wife was unable to join us for the afternoon, so we missed her. Aunts Harriet and Helen and my motherAunt Helen and Uncle DonUncle Bill and Aunt Harriet
Great Grandma savoring every minute with Jayden!
"Grandpahood" looks good on you, great uncle Rayn!

3 comments:

Leingang Family said...

What a great trip home! How fun to have your family together like that. The pictures of the church made me miss when we were helping to serve out at Dalton.

Brooke said...

Seeing your pictures makes me treasure the fact that I grew up in a small town too! The old country church, family, and MN! How wonderful that you could spend time being with family!

doug&margarethe said...

Brought back many fond memories of times spent at Javnaker, the farm, and with your folks and extended family. I love that photo of Mil playing the auto-harp and Ray his harmonica! Great family photos at the lake. Mil really seemed to enjoy and bond with her great-grandson!! So happy you could be here for all those reunions and see so many people! Miss you.