Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Midwest trip

Two weeks ago, I (Marilyn) traveled back to the Midwest to visit her parents. It was a really quick trip (four days), but such a great trip. My wonderful brother picked me up at the airport.
It was so fun to see his new house and also to share in his newest hobby--stained glass windows.
Driving to my parents was great. Seeing the tractors working in the field brought back so many memories.  
I don't realize how much I miss the wide open spaces of the country until I'm back in it. Fresh, clean air!
Small town life...grain elevators have an important place in the life of the town...
And this gas station /convenience store provides most daily necessities. Very handy!
Welcome!

Sings of spring were every where. These little songbirds entertained us every morning with their melodious chirping.
The trees were just starting to leaf out.
Mom and Dad in their cozy apartment (they just got new glasses, very stylish!)
There are alot of activities provided for the residents, and walking over to the activity room three times daily is also good exercise!
Limberjacks! (Dad started waving at me, then tried to shoo me away...)
Kickball (except Dad preferred to bat it with his hand, and he really does have good hand-eye coordination skill.)
One afternoon, when the rain stopped, we decided to walk down to the new bridge that is being built just north of town. Unfortunately Dad felt very cold and after many complaints about "freezing to death" he and mom turned around and went back home while I continued down to the bridge to snap a couple photos.
For the next three hours, Dad sat with coat and cap on, refusing to take them off because he was still too cold!
He finally removed his cap, just in time to play several games of Bingo that evening. 
Everybody parked their "cars" outside in the hallway while they played games.
These walkers are, quite honestly, one of the best inventions! Not only are the good for stabilizing walking, but they can be used to haul things, also as a great chair. Every time we went someplace, I told Dad to get his "car" and off we would go! 
For mom's birthday and mother's day gift, we went shopping for plants. For as long as I can remember, mom has always planted a big garden, and she was really missing her garden this spring...
...so getting out and digging in the dirt again was very therapeutic for her. And, now she can watch her plants (and birds!) from the living room window. Major satisfaction!
So very good to spend those few days with my folks. I love you Dad and Mom!

No comments: