Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mom's 80th Birthday

Last week I had the privilege of traveling back to MN to visit family and friends. The occasion was my mother's 80th birthday, but I also visited several other friends and family members. I enjoyed many hours together with our son Jared. Even though our Saturday was rainy and windy, we loved the time we had together talking, shopping, and watching a movie.
After church on Sunday, Jared and I joined other family members and friends at the local community center in my parents' home town to help celebrate my mom's 80th birthday. We decorated in red and white and used geraniums as the center pieces on the tables. It was very fun for my sister Becky (also living on the west coast) and I to see our parents for the first time when they walked through the door and into the colorful room!
We missed having our youngest sister at the party, but were happy that so many of the rest of us were able to celebrate with our folks. Four of the ten grandchildren were present and all of us were excited to treat mom like the queen that she is.
Grandma and JaredGrandma and the three grandsons that were at the party.
Following the party, many of the family members gathered at mom and dad's cozy little house to have supper. One of mom's sisters and her brother and their spouses drove many miles to help my folks celebrate. We enjoyed visiting with them for awhile before us kids headed out to my brother's lake cabin.



On Monday afternoon (after a night at the lake cabin), my sister Becky and I helped mom plant the geraniums all over her yard. It will be fun to see pictures at the end of summer when all the plants have grown and added splashes of color all around the house!

2 comments:

M and B said...

Looks like you had a fun time. Good to talk to you yesterday!

doug&margarethe said...

It was such fun spending time with you. Thanks for coming. I know your mom was thrilled to have you come visit! Looks like such a wonderful 80th birthday celebration.